How to apply for the Exemption of PTPTN Loan for First Class Holders (USM Main Campus Version)

Just received a love letter from PTPTN on my successful application of the Exemption of PTPTN Loan as First Class Holder. Overwhelmed with joy and excitement because the efforts I've been put in over the 4 years of study life is finally paid off. At the same time, I received lots of similar questions like "How to waive PTPTN loan?' "School's website does not have detailed steps on the application"  "How to certify the documents and where to do it?" and blah blah blah... I went through the process and understand that it is a complicated process for some universities, especially when you have to visit different offices for different certification in order to get the loan exemption. Being kind and caring, I am here to share with you guys on how to apply for the Exemption of PTPTN Loan for First Class Holders (USM Main Campus Version).

To me, the process for loan exemption in USM is relatively fast and simple after I've listened the stories from my sisters from different universities on their experiences in getting the exemption on PTPTN loan. I try to make it clear and simple, you will just to follow a few steps to complete the application.

Part A: Before your convocation
1. Visit https://www.ptptn.gov.my/pengecualian-bayaran-blk-side and read every single word. Make sure you fulfil the requirements.

2. Download and print out the Akuan Peminjam from the same website. The form I got is in 2007 version but it is still usable for my year (2018). To be safe, try to refresh the website to see whether they upload a new one. Then, complete the form as required. 

3. This step is for your own tracking in the future. The system will keep you updated after your loan exemption is approved. 
Login to https://www.ptptn.gov.my/gateway/login.jsp. The first question that you will definitely ask: "I forgot my password// Did I logged in before?" Ok this is normal, as I had the same problem too. Just choose the "forgot your password// Terlupa kata laluan", the system will send a new password to your email address. 

4. After logged in, you should able to see all of your details inside, including your loan. At the left side of the list, click the "Penyata Baki Terperinci" to track your loan details. If you are qualified for a PTPTN Loan Repayment Exemption, you will see your balance turns to "0" afterwards. 

5. You are done with the first part. Just wait till the day of your graduation!

Part B: After your convocation (On the same day)
P/S: For step 6-9, I did it on the same day as my graduation ceremony. If you want to do it at the later time, it is still possible but the location might be different. Kindly visit usm@convo for more details.
6. After returning the academic dress with your graduate name card at the Robing Room, (Perpustakaan Hamzah Sendut I, Main Campus, Penang), you can collect your graduation scroll and transcript at DUP A (Dewan Peperiksaan A). 

7. Open the envelope and ensure that you get your:
  1. Scroll // Degree cert
  2. Transcript in BM and BI version and;
  3. A first class letter with the word "FIRST CLASS" on it, it will be attached together with your scroll and transcript ONLY if you are a first class holder. 
All of these documents are paramount important for your PTPTN loan exemption. Make sure that your name and details are correct.

8. Go to any printing shop nearby to photostat all the documents as stated in 7. Only one copy is required but you can prepare extra for own safety. 

9. Go back to DUP A (Dewan Peperiksaan A), there will be counters where PTPTN officers will stand by and certify the documents for you. (How good USM is! We can settle everything in one place). Make sure everything is certified before you leave the hall.


Part C: After documents certification
10. Prepare a big envelope, put everything inside:
  1. Photostated degree cert (Certified) 1 copy
  2. Photostated academic transcript (Certified) BM & BI version each 1 copy
  3. Photostated first class letter (Certified) 1 copy
  4. Original Akuan Peminjam that you have completed in Step 2.
11. Post it to the address below:
Perbadanan Tabung Pendidikan Tinggi Nasional (PTPTN)
Tingkat Bawah, Menara PTPTN,
Blok D, Megan Avenue II,
No.12, Jalan Yap Kwan Seng,
50450 Kuala Lumpur.
Alternatively, you can also hand in your document personally to the PTPTN office nearby. However, as the officer will usually collect the documents and send to the main office by batch, I would suggest you to directly post to the address above for faster processing. 

12. Constantly login your account (Step 3 & 4) to keep track of your loan balance. Your application will be processed within the 60 working days. For my case, my loan balance turned to 0 after three weeks of my submission and I received a confirmation letter from PTPTN one month later. 

The application for PTPTN loan exemption must be done within 12 months after your graduation. My advice is, do it as soon as you get your certs. There are so many graduates out there, they need time to process :) 

Hope my post can help and if you have any question, don't hesitate to ask in the comment box below. 
For more updated information, USM graduates can always refer ⏩⏩ Maklumat Perhubungan Seksyen Data dan Rekod Pelajar USM and convo@usm; the staffs were so kind in explaining all my questions and doubts!


Good Luck & All The Best!!!


By,



Comments